Wednesday 29 May 2013

Hong Kong Inflatables

For some unknown reason there's a selection of inflatables at West Kowloon Cultural District at the minute (site of Beertopia), I think it's supposed to be art or something. Either way it provided us with some free entertainment for half an hour on a sunny Saturday.

The first installation you encounter is called 'Complex Pile'....

Just why?? 
Close up
Closer up, with all the fine details. Don't get it! 
Next up, an inflatable pig. I think you could have gone inside this but I didn't realise that at the time. 
Giant half buried cockroach.... again, no idea.
Impressive, but I'm still not sure I understand! 
Stonehenge I did like, a lot. It was a big bouncy castle base too, bonus.
Enjoying the bouncy castle element! 
'Complex Pile' in front of the ICC (tallest building in HK, where we had Christmas dinner) 
View from the exhibition across the harbour.
And as if that wasn't enough inflatables for one day, the giant duck was also in town!! This is also in the name of art - the artist Florentijin Hofman claims it is a 'happiness inducing sculpture that gives people a break from their daily routines'. I can buy this, I think it's ace, I also like to think he swam there himself.

DUCK!
Me + duck :)
There's some great pictures of him arriving in HK online, I'd paste them here but am too lazy to credit them to the correct sources. He did have an unfortunate incident though and the poor thing deflated. This led to lots of jokes about him getting avian flu and/or various other diseases due to the air and harbour pollution! Fortunately he's now back to full health and will sit in the harbour for another couple of weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment