Monday 20 January 2014

Home alone in Hong Kong

At the end of October Hannah headed back to the UK for a couple of months which left me home alone in Hong Kong!  
To keep myself busy I joined some meetup groups, one to play volleyball and one for running!  The people I met ranged from those who had always lived in Hong Kong through to people here on holiday or business who just wanted to run to see the city.  The weekly run was up the peak - a great way to remind yourself quite good the view is of the Hong Kong skyline at night.  Doing a bit more running also dragged me out on a Saturday morning to see the countryside of which there is more of in Hong Kong then I would ever have believed before I got here.
Morning view from Jardines lookout during a run
There is a bus trying to squeeze through there somewhere!
Night time view from the peak
Hannah and I don't really cook in Hong Kong and that didn't change just because I was on my own! Between local takeaways and cooked food markets I was kept full of tasty food.  I did occasionally eat cereal in the evening, but that was about as close to cooking as I got!
Curry sauce, Rice and deep fried breaded pork - what more could you want

Cooked food market Thai!
Towards the end of the time along I met up with our friends Tim and Ruth for a beer in Tin Hau.  This is an area of Hong Kong island that until then I had never been to (it's crazy quite how many places there are to visit all close together, some of which you just go past for months at a time).  They obviously thought that my takeaway diet was not doing me any good and cooked me my only home cooked meal during my time alone.  Tim is a very good chef and our Sunday dinner of steak was tasty!
Me, Tim and Ruth
Mmmmm, home cooked steak
December also was time for Hong Kong's biggest music festival, Clockenflap.  It's held on an open area just on the edge of the water in Kowloon.  I went on the Saturday and got to see Franz Ferdinand, the 1975 and Nile Rodgers (if you have never heard of Nile Rogers, look him up - he was involved in or wrote so many songs!) The setting was the best I have ever seen for a music festival - great view of the skyline as the sun set - this was the same location as the beer festival last year.  Eventually it is due to be built into a more permanent cultural centre including a theatre etc. but I think it would be best left for these events!

The main stage
view back from the main stage
And I'll leave you with a few more Hong Kong photos from the 2 months.  Other than that all I did was work hard and miss Hannah really (awwwww)!

View from our flat - that's a very blue sky for Hong Kong
Hong Kong Taxi
Star Ferry
Christmas decorations in our local shopping centre










No comments:

Post a Comment