Tuesday 20 November 2012

Chinese Hotpot!

Evening all,

Sorry a bit behind on my blogging, been a bit busy flat and furniture hunting. It looks promising with the flat we want but still awaiting final final confirmation, fingers crossed! Not sure if I've mentioned previously but all flats tend to come unfurnished here, which is pretty stupid in my opinion, since people are constantly coming and going. We're trying to decide whether to just put in a mega Ikea order (this was the preferred option but it seems you can't order online and the chances of everything we want being in stock are slim!) or search the classifieds and hire a man with a van and go collect a load of stuff from various sources.

Still, there's been plenty of time for fun too!

After a couple of beers on Friday night a colleague asked if I fancied going for 'Chinese Hotpot'. The old Hannah would have enquired as to what this involved but Hannah who has lived in Hong Kong for over a month decided to go with the flow (the beers may have helped).

Waiting outside... it was cheaper after 9pm, apparently!
Outside of restaurant.
Table set up
The general principle of chinese hotpot is you get a cooking station in the centre of the table for your soup base, then order as much meat and veg as you like (seriously it keeps coming in mega portions!).


Soup isn't quite boiling in the above photo but you get the idea. We got a creamy / chicken one and a spicy one. The meat and veg come raw and it cooks in the soup, sounds good right? Well it would be if the menu was in english and/or I knew what people were ordering!! It started quite well with nice bits of beef / pork / chicken.... then I saw a plate of what I thought was squid, no - it was beef stomach. Plenty more strange stuff followed, including goose intestines (seriously!?), safe to say I didn't eat much more after that!! 

Ah, goose intestines...
It was a pretty cool experience though and it's not somewhere I'd go with Stephen, due to our lack of language skills! I just wish I'd got a bit more involved in the ordering process and ensured we ordered things I'd heard of - noodles, prawns etc. One for next time!!

I was also going to blog about our trip to Lamma Island on Saturday and to the Hong Kong Open on Sunday but the internet is being strange and won't let me upload any more pictures so I'll be back to report on that soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment