Tuesday 6 November 2012

Home Alone in Hong Kong

Husband is back in the UK for the week - sad face! It's a long, complicated and not very interesting story that mainly involves a visa that didn't get posted for him and meetings he needs to attend. He flew late Sunday night and was at his desk in London at 6:30am Monday morning, apparently not many people are in work at that time! He'll be back here Friday night after a busy week at work and a lot of travelling.... and then we're moving when he gets back, poor man!

Still, we had another good weekend before he went. On Friday lunchtime I discovered a nice pasta/salad/soup bar - it's all a bit trendy inside but since soup of the day was 'Pepperoni Pizza' (spicy tomato soup, massive croutons, chunks of pepperoni and mozzarella cheese) and the pasta of the day 'Penne Bolognaise' I decided there couldn't really be a more perfect combination for me so paid my $50 (£4, including can of coke!) and gave it a go. Verdict = delicious!

Tasty 
All gone!
I was slightly stuffed after that and felt like I needed a snooze all afternoon (until somebody suggested we go to the pub) - maybe not one for every day but still decent quality and really good value for when I'm fed up of noodles!

Friday night traditions continued.... that being several bottles of TsingTao followed by Paisanos pizza!

4 green bottles sitting on a wall
(except you've got an 'arty' instagram shot, so will just have to imagine the green).
Saturday morning saw another trip to HSBC..... thought I'd attempt to turn my account into a joint account for us and to apply for a credit card so can shop online etc. Not particularly successful, Stephen was declined an account due to lack of visa / employment contract which is fair enough I guess, he'll be able to get one next week! I think I applied for a credit card, not really sure.... firstly you had to earn a certain amount but as I'd only been paid two weeks salary they decided to multiply that by 12 and tell me I didn't qualify, despite having a copy of my contract but more because I was slightly distracted. It appears they have me on record as being Bulgarian in nationality and two years younger than I actually am?! How they manage this I really do not know - they have a copy of my passport!!

Clearly sustenance was needed after this encounter so we went for tasty chinese food and tasty cakes! I managed to drop these cakes on the tram home, much to Stephens disappointment - mine was fine, his was a little more mashed, still edible!



I'd found a new exciting supermarket earlier in the week and wanted to show Stephen. We went in and I noticed a cool looking shop downstairs. Generally it just sold tat with the occasional good thing, I was slightly confused about the lack of prices when I realised everything cost $12 (£1). I then noticed the Japanese wool, knitting needles, crochet hooks, books....

All wool is sold in plastic bags here! 
Exciting
Stephen clearly thought I'd pre-planned this whole trip but I genuinely hadn't! Need to go back and have a good look round, lots of other crafty bits including origami and embroidery.... really don't need another hobby!

In the evening we went to see Skyfall! I did really enjoy it, but couldn't help laughing when Adele started singing after the introduction (tragic) and I do kind of agree with Giles Coren in part... definitely worth watching though - good entertainment!

Then we went for pasta, which was a bit disappointing. Not particularly bad but they'd made out they were a cool trendy pasta bar from Tokyo with all fresh ingredients etc..... tasted like it was out of a tin! We rectified the bad pasta situation on Sunday night though by randomly stumbling upon a nice bar in Happy Valley, where we live. (Pics are of the tasty pasta, other stuff didn't warrant a pic!).

Meatballs
Lasagne
Much tastier pasta!! Unsure how we've managed to miss about 70% of this place until the weekend before we leave!

Prior to tasty pasta we managed to get ourselves out of bed on a Sunday morning and went on a tour of Victoria Harbour as part of our CityPasses. It was so good!

Our boat
View of the ICC (tall building we went up a couple of weeks back) and West Kowloon from the boat. 
Tour company stickers we decided not to wear...
It was such a lovely morning so the views were amazing and it was brilliant to see all the sights from the water. Obviously we've got the ferries before but these just go straight across, this went up and down for a good two hours with a decent commentary. Did manage to sunburn my cheeks slightly though!

Off knitting tomorrow night so best cast something on before bed, since I've just cast off some mitts. Totally rock and roll whilst Stephen is away! Did go to some cool bars last night though, will be back soon with pics!


1 comment: