Saturday 12 January 2013

Best Curry Ever?

Stephen and I have been following a blog for a while now The Dim Sum Diaries - we are by no means 'foodies' since we don't like fancy stuff but we do enjoy going out for tasty food! This website had popped up a few times when we'd been googling where to go for tea and we particularly enjoyed the  Top 10 Picks of 2012 post. One place stood out - Chauturi (worth a click - her writing and photos are better than mine!!) - the food looked amazing and it was cheap (double bonus)

I'm well aware these photos don't do this place justice but I'm no food blogger / photographer so you'll just have to take my word for it! (Unless of course you want to come visit - we'll be most happy to take you there!).

We had the address on our iPhones (naturally) so were following the little blue GPS dot to find it but it would be so easy to miss. The restaurant was in a 'Cooked Food Market' on the 2nd floor of a random building, you go up in a tiny lift (wondering exactly what you're doing and if you're in the correct place) and then open the door and this crazy place just opens up in front of you!

It's really hard to describe, the best I can do is liken it to a busy canteen. There's several restaurants dotted around the outside and then tables in the middle. Each restaurant has it's own tables but you can order food from the various restaurants e.g. order a curry and then have a tiramisu from the italian next door for desert - what's not to like?! I think you can also take your own booze given the group of guys next to us drinking bottles (yes bottles) of whisky like it was lemonade, or the posh made in chelsea type students at the other table doing shots of some expensive looking vodka. 

Anyway, the curry - it was AMAZING! I'm not sure if it's because of the place you're in and you don't expect it to be that good but it was just so tasty. A different flavour almost to curries we're used to, I can't really explain, just believe me when I say it was good!

Doesn't look like much... but it really is!
Trying to capture what the place is like, but failing.
Onion Bahji - seriously good!!
Yum
Double yum
The Italian next to the curry place is supposed to be really good also (posh too, it has tablecloths!) but I think I'd always want to order the curry if I find myself back there. The vietnamese/thai also looked amazing.... ahh too much tasty food everywhere!

You can't get everything here though, there's plenty of things back home we're really looking forward to when we're back; pizza (Harpos), meat (Ribshakk / Fazenda) & yorkshire puddings to name but a few. Seeing and catching up with family and friends obviously moreso, ours lives don't wholly revolve around food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment